I haver a feeling this all new “5 Things” is going to turn into one fun weekly roundup for everyone to enjoy. Last week, you all went crazy over “5 Ways to Get Going Each Day” and have been asking for more goodness so look no further. Each week, I will share five specific things in any given category + you all have been super helpful in crafting great content for me to share… so be sure to stay tuned for drugstore favs, home organization ideas, how to stay on track with eating, relationship tips and more. For this week, I’m sharing our Top 5 Easy Weeknight Meals. I know it can be hard to plan out your menu each week, but I am hoping these easy, tasty recipes will come to your aid when you need them most. Staple recipes our family asks for all the time and ones that are great for giving to friends and family as well. Enjoy the deliciousness!
5 Easy Weeknight Meals
ONE. Poppyseed Chicken Casserole
3 to 4 chicken breasts, shredded [I use the tenderloins because they take less time to cook] 2 cans of cream of chicken soup [I use the reduced fat, low sodium variety] 8 oz can of sour cream [again with the reduced fat
1 sleeve of ritz crackers
3-4 TBSP of poppyseeds
1 cup of white rice
Boil chicken in pot and then shred into small pieces
Mix into a bowl the cooked chicken pieces with cream of chicken soup and sour cream
Pour into 13 x 9 baking dish
Crush the sleeve of crackers and pour over mixture and then sprinkle poppyseeds on top
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 until it bubbles and cracker topping is golden brown
**make rice in separate saucepan and then serve casserole over rice
TWO. MISSISSIPPI POT ROAST
1.5 lb – 2 lb Chuck Roast
1 Packet of Ranch Dressing Mix
1 Packet of Dry Onion Soup Mix
1 Stick of Butter
1 Jar of Pepperoncini Peppers|
1 Small Package of Baby Bella Mushrooms, Chopped
1 Medium Size Red Onion, Sliced
Place chuck roast in the bottom of crock pot. To make it even easier, use these crock pot liners to eliminate any mess. Sprinkle the ranch dressing mix and dry onion soup mix over the top… then add the stick of butter and 1 full jar of pepperoncini peppers [with juice]. Place lid on top of crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours, and then add chopped mushrooms and onion slices and let cook for 2+ hours.
THREE. LASAGNA SOUP[I also use the lightened version to help cut those calories so you don’t feel QUITE as guilty]
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb turkey Italian sausage
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
1 32 oz container low sodium chicken broth
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
4 oz broken whole wheat lasagna noodles
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup shredded low fat mozzarella
1 French bread baguette
• heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch Oven. add sausage, onion, bell pepper, + garlic and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sausage is browned
• add broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt and crushed red pepper and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. add noodles and bring to a boil and then reduce heat to let noodles cook until softened (about 10 minutes).
• remove from heat, stir in basil and Parmesan and top with mozzarella- serve with French bread and enjoy!
FOUR. Lemon Arugula Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe
12 oz dried spaghetti
1/4 lb pancetta or bacon finely diced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes [less if you don’t like it too spicy!!] 2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
3 cups baby arugula
Cook spaghetti according to package in heavily salted water. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water and drain.
- In a large skillet, cook the pancetta over med-high heat until crisped, 7-9 min. Then add olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Add lemon juice to skillet, then add drained pasta and toss to coat. Add the parm and toss. Then add in pasta water, a few tablespoons at a time so the cheese coats the pasta. Add the arugula and toss until it wilts. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Serve with more parm.
FIVE. HONEY LIME CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
6 TBSP honey
5 TBSP lime juice
2 TBSP chili powder
1 TSP garlic powder
16 oz. can of reen verde enchilada sauce
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas [we use low carb variety!] 1 bag monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 cup sour cream [we use fat free]
1. Boil chicken until cooked throug and then shred with a fork
2. Combine honey, lime juice, chili powder, and garlic powder together and add to shredded chicken
3. Pour 1/4 cup of green verde sauce in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish
4. Fill tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese and place in baking dish
5. Mix remaining enchilada sauce with the sour cream + pour over enchiladas, + then sprinkle monterey jack cheese on top
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite weeknight meals? Let me know in a comment below!