It’s fall picture time… yes, we work WAY ahead of the curve when it comes to Christmas Card preparation around these parts and we’ve got our fall family session this Thursday evening with the amazing Alli Golden Photography. Not only does she take most of my fashion shots, but we visit her each autumn for our family pictures as well, because she is truly THE BEST. You can see last year’s photoshoot here.
And as a blogger who loves fashion, my favorite part of prepping for our photos is the styling process for our little foursome. Yes, I have a tendency to go a bit overboard on this, but to me, these family pics are keepsakes we gift to friends and family incorporating them into yearly calendars and framing them throughout the house, so I want to make sure we are dressed to impress.
Here are a few of my favorite tips and tricks for styling your family for a photoshoot:
- Choose one major color/tone/hue and incorporate throughout each person’s wardrobe in some way. It doesn’t have to be “matchy matchy” in any way, shape or form, but continuity always helps keep is consistent and makes it all work together!
- Add in pops of pattern, texture and pop for interest. Like I mentioned before, use ONE color for the major hue, but a little accessorizing goes a long way. For instance, incorporating a sweet necklace for your daughter, a patterned headband/bow for your baby girl, a fleece vest for the boys, etc.
- Don’t give in to the latest trends when you’re prepping for photos… that can make your pictures look dated and you’ll probably regret it later [trust me on this one]
- Fit Your Form: work with silhouettes that show off your shape and what works best for your frame
- Texturize: I have found that rich, luxurious fabrics photograph beautifully–think chiffon, lace, embroidery, beadwork, etc… they make great statements in SMALL doses
- Relax and have fun! Be confident and enjoy yourself…
So, what’s on tap for us for this year’s “look”?? Here is a little sneak peak of my picks:
Still looking for the perfect outfits to style for YOUR photos?? I’ve been styling a TON of families this fall already and I am happy to do the same for you.. email me at email@example.com and we can select the perfect items together!