Today I turn the big 32... crazy fast how quickly this past year has come and gone and I'm here again, blowing out candles, drinking a mimosa [yes I totally am while I work...perks of being my own boss... don't judge] and thinking about what the next year looks like for me.
I find myself consistently trying to think how I can better myself, my family, my time, my work, and so many other aspects of life whenever a birthday milestone comes and goes and this year, I am talking about 32 specific things I'm thinking, doing, planning, and hoping for this next year.
1. I plan to spend more quality time with my family... and by that I mean fun, engaging time with the three people most important to me. Weekend adventures, taking in the sights and sounds we have nearby and making our time together more meaningful.2. I want to learn something new... I'm not quite sure exactly what that is just yet, but I'm on a hunt to find a new activity, a new passion. Something that I can add to my bag of tricks and will help me learn and grow. Any ideas??
3. I plan to cook more... and no, I don't mean Trader Joe's quickfire dinners... I mean actually taking time to meal plan, read through my cookbooks, and pull out some treasures that I would normally pass by. I want to get the girls to sample new foods and that starts at home!
4. One big wish is to blog more. And by saying that, I mean real, thought provoking content, and not just "fluff" that fills the pages. I want to talk more about my experiences, life, and I hope I can continue to grow this creative outlet in a positive way, and it be a source of happiness that you can visit for some extra goodness.
5. I plan to shed more "weight"... and no, I'm not talking about extra pounds on my body, but shed the excess that isn't necessary. I plan to say no to things that aren't a priority, to shed negativity that weighs me down, and to focus only on the good.
6. I want to get back on track with regular doctor visits... I will be the first to admit that routine checkups fall to the back burner and aren't a priority, but taking care of myself is important and I need to be diligent about exams for the dermatologist, OB, etc.
7. I'm thinking about what success truly looks like for my business. I'm tweaking tactical action plans, overarching growth strategy, ways to manage my work/life balance, and how I can work smarter, not harder.
8. I hope I read more... more girly reads, more business books, and I need to dive back in to reading scripture. It's so important and my faith is constantly evolving and reading His words help keep me accountable and on the right path.
9. I want to get more involved in the community... I want to volunteer more with local charities and non-profits and teach our girls how important it is to do for others. Philanthropy has been an important part of my life and I need to get back to making it a habit!
10. I need to quit saving things for a special occasion... I wrote this down when I turned 30, and I have failed miserably. Everyday is a special occasion so quit "saving" it for another day. Wear that dress that makes me feel like a million bucks, put on my wedding earrings just because, burn that expensive candle... you get the drift.
11. I need to gossip less... totally calling myself out. Jeff would get a kick out of reading this one because it's true.
12. I plan to keep my workout routine of strength training and changing it up so my body doesn't become "bored" with the same exercises I used to do. Cardio is easy, but I can absolutely tell a difference when I take it up a notch and I want to keep on track!
13. I hope to budget better when it comes to shopping. I am an impulse buyer to a fault and the cuteness that floods social media gets me... not to mention a good sale has me hopping online to stock up and save. Just because it's on sale doesn't mean I need it. I want to make a list of the "necessities" I need and only buy what's on my list...yes, this will be a challenge.
14. I want to be more of a leader within our small group. We have a wonderful support system in them and I hope it continues to grow and evolve and that we become closer with these couples... forming a bond has been so helpful for Jeff and I and our commitment to staying active in our church.
15. I plan to join 1-2 professional business organizations! I've already begun this process and I will be attending my first meeting next week. Entrepreneurial organizations will help me network, brainstorm, and talk to other business owners and hopefully learn new tricks of the trade, too.
16. I would absolutely love to get better at photography... taking pictures of the girls, snapshots for the blog, etc. I've slowly but surely learned a few things here and there since I started blogging, but I have so far to go and I'm well aware that it's an area I need help with.
17. I hope I can continue to do better about not sweating the small stuff as much as I used to. I am a work in progress when it comes to taming my OCD/Type A tendencies, but it's OK if the laundry isn't folded or the playroom is a disaster... the world won't end because Jeff leaves his shoes everywhere but in the closet... haha.
18. A huge goal of mine is to have more time alone. Kinda hard to do when you have two small children, but even as a big extrovert, I still enjoy time by myself. Even if it is just for 5-10 minutes. Quiet time is good for the soul and gives me an opportunity to exhale...
19. I want to forgive. Forgive the people that have hurt me and show grace to everyone. It's OK to let people off the hook and hopefully they can do it for me, too.
20. I want to unplug... and REALLY unplug. I want to turn my phone off, turn everything off. It may sound crazy, but I don't need to be checking my phone 2,575 times a day.
21. I absolutely want to continue to celebrate the small victories... meeting my work goals, the girls playing well with each other, whatever it may be. It's fun to be able to relish in every little success, no matter how small they are.
22. I hope to laugh more... it's so good for the soul. I love to laugh!
23. My children only get one childhood so make it memorable. I promise to give them the best one I can.
24. I don't want to compare my life to others'... their story is vastly different than my own.
25. I need to learn that winning isn't everything...especially when it comes to winning an argument.
26. I want to get outside more... take more walks in nature, go to more festivals and fairs. God created a beautiful Earth and I don't intend on wasting it inside.
27. I hope I learn to keep my mouth shut... that one is going to be tricky.
28. Failure is a part of life and it's OK to fail... sometimes it can be one of the greatest gifts in how you learn. I'm terrified of failure, but I hope to get to a place where I see that failure can help in so many ways.
29. I wish to realize I can't change anyone...their behavior, actions, beliefs, or opinion.
30. I hope to spend more one-on-one time with my hubby. We aren't good about sticking to a routine when it comes to date nights, or quality time with just he and I and I plan to change that! I want us to travel more, go to the movies together... the silly things that we used to enjoy doing, but rarely get to anymore. Time with Jeff makes me happier and I want more of it.
31. I want to do something crazy! Whether it's going on a hot air balloon ride, scuba diving down below, or possibly running a marathon, I'm ancy to do something far out there and completely out of my comfort zone.
32. And more than anything, I want to continue to live a happy, full, and content life with the three people in my little family. And that's enough for me.